Scott Sabourin says he’s feeling much better but is still taking his recovery one day at a time after the hit that saw him stretchered off the ice nearly six weeks ago: pic.twitter.com/jT6iGnxcG2— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) December 9, 2019Both Sabourin and Backes were wounded in the altercation, which halted play at Boston’s TD Garden for over 11 minutes. Backes returned to in-game action on Dec. 1 after taking some time to independently assess his health. The 35-year-old appeared visibly emotional as Sabourin was stretchered off the ice that night and later said the situation must have been “extremely scary” for Sabourin and his family.“[Backes] reached out to me originally and you know he said some kind words about me in an interview there,” Sabourin told reporters when asked if he has spoken to Backes since the hit. “But since then I have not spoken to him, no. That was awfully nice of him, it shows what kind of character he has and what kind of person he is. It’s kind of nice to see that the whole hockey world is in it together for the same thing at the end of the day.”While Sabourin did skate Monday, he said he has not yet been cleared for contact and still needs to pass a few more tests, but hopes to return to the Senators’ lineup “sooner rather than later.” Ottawa Senators forward Scott Sabourin on Monday skated on his own for the first time since his scary injury suffered in a collision with Boston Bruins forward David Backes on Nov. 2.“I’m feeling much better,” Sabourin told reporters via Sportsnet. “It’s been a little while here and I’ve been taking my time recovering, but we’re kind of just taking it day-by-day and I’m glad to be back out there with the guys and I’m looking forward to the future.” “Six weeks off or whatever it’s been there, I’d say is a little bit of time,” Sabourin said. “We’re just trying to progress, get the legs back under me, the confidence coming along with it.”The Senators and Bruins meet in their next game on Dec. 9 in Ottawa.